Skip to main content

Building Community Through Giving by Abigail Goldberg

 

I remember coming to Nazareth and being overwhelmed with all the available opportunities. There were flyers on almost every wall advertising different trips students could take. I love to travel, but I remember thinking to myself that I wasn’t going to participate in any of these experiences because it was my first semester, and I was still in the swing of college life and didn’t want any more stress to be put on me. I also have several years ahead of me and will have plenty of opportunities ahead of me to do so. 


A life-changing experience: Abigail Goldberg is pictured first, 
wearing a mint green shirt.

I received an email in about mid-November from Jamie Fazio saying that my advisor saw me as a good candidate for a solidarity and social justice retreat with the list of the different retreats below. The fact that I got this email directly was a sign to get out of my comfort zone and seek new opportunities despite my hesitation. I found St. Francis Inn on the list. The trip was 5 days and located in Philadelphia, both not too long and not too far. St. Francis Inn was described as a soup kitchen run in the style of a restaurant. The Inn empowers individuals to break the cycle of poverty and homelessness by building relationships and helping to restore hope while building solidarity in the community. After inquiring about it, I thought about it more and more. I knew I would be eager to go on winter break. I also didn’t know most of the people that were going, and I saw myself as a quiet freshman. I pushed myself to try it for the experience. Worst case I didn’t enjoy it and wouldn’t do it again. Little did I know that the experience would change my life.


Stepping out of my comfort zone and dedicating the first few days of my winter break to helping others was one of the best choices I’ve ever made. Every day at St. Francis was filled with new opportunities and a new appreciation for the work that the inn did. We got to spend the whole day at the Inn preparing for the evening meal. We wrapped produce and bread for the guests to take on their way into the Inn. We prepared the meals by cutting the vegetables and plating the desserts. Being able to see our hard work during the day pay off when the guests came was so rewarding. On the first day at the Inn, I was a server, meaning I was in charge of serving meals and desserts to 4 tables in the Inn. I was very excited about this opportunity because I got to directly interact with the guests. I was worried that I would say something wrong and would insult a guest, but I kept reminding myself that the guests are people too, and I just needed to be myself. Being able to put a warm meal in front of the guests put tears in my eyes because of the appreciation they had towards us, volunteers. I was told by so many guests that this was the best meal that they’d had in a long time.

On the last day at the Inn, I stood outside handing out hand sanitizer bottles to the guests because the Covid pandemic was still at its peak. The guests expressed so much gratitude for this simple act of handing them a bottle. They explained that they sometimes feel forgotten because the community doesn’t realize that the pandemic affects them too and they don’t have access to places to clean their hands, making them more prone to getting Covid. Since I was stationed outside, I got to see the guests walk into the Inn and then leave after their meal. I got to see them walking in with a frown on their face and walking out with a smile and food to last them until the next meal. One man walked out of the Inn with a smile on his face and a bag full of food. He shouted out, “St. Francis Inn, you make life better!” Hearing this come from one of the guest's mouths proved the impact that the Inn has on people. It gives them a sense of hope and purpose because, in the community, homeless individuals aren’t seen or treated like humans. They feel like they are forgotten about and aren’t cared for. But the Inn tries to break this cycle and instill hope in the guests in a welcoming comm
unity that always has open arms. 


The community that St. Francis Inn has created within the Inn itself is the most caring and supportive community that I’ve ever been a part of. The guests treated each other like family and would give each other leftovers they didn’t want to ensure someone got an extra meal during the day. They would pick each other up when someone looked upset; they would walk out of the Inn laughing with each other. They created a community that everyone wanted to be a part of because it was full of love and kindness. I don’t think that I would be able to count how many times frowns entered the Inn and smiles left the Inn.

Never would I have expected that a 5-day trip would completely change my life and help me find my purpose. I came back to Rochester with a new appreciation for creating welcoming and inclusive communities. I couldn’t even express the emotions that this trip brought me in words. I was so grateful for this opportunity and so moved by the love and support that was brought to me from St. Francis Inn. If you need a sign to step out of your comfort zone and go to a new community, this is it. St. Francis Inn, you have made my life better!

 

Abby is a current sophomore from Rochester, NY. She is a social work major and is part of the honors program at Nazareth.  

Please take a moment and let us know what you think of this story