Skip to main content

Afraid of the Dark; The Luminosity of Knowledge by Kaitlyn Nichols

 



Ignorance is an element that runs through our blood; a toxin that can be cured by the willingness of comprehension. Our strive for equality and ability to empathize with others, will become the components that make up our “saving grace” within the survivability of humanity.

Though ignorance may feel as if it is unintentional, and when presenting some circumstances, it is. When knowledge is restricted, is when ignorance is accidental in such a context. So how do we learn the acts of assured sentiment and empathy through knowledge?

By accepting. Simply put, the more we are exposed to the diverse realities among us, the more knowledge we gain, and the acceptance that follows, the better off we are for it.


* * *

I am new to Nazareth College, as I transferred from a “notable” university – the quotations will make sense later on – after only one semester. And the two experiences have been completely unique when compared to one another.

When I was first accepted into said university (which name I prefer to keep to myself) I was ecstatic due to the excellence of its English department as well as the pride that came with its name – bragging rights seem to be a given when admitted into the school. Though, as orientation came, an ugly truth had been shared with the new students. A few years prior, I believe in the fall of 2019, a number of horrendous acts occurred at the school– which were all rooted in racial prejudice. And, at the fault of the university itself, not much had been done to address or correct such acts, which consisted of a racist video that had gained national attention and vandalism of school property also exhibiting racist beliefs. Both incidents were hidden by the school, as students were told to not share any information regarding what had happened. Though, a few brave students did share what had happened, which led to a publicized protest on campus. What had shocked me the most after being told the story of the university’s recent past, was that I was unaware of it until I had been admitted into the school. It hadn’t been mentioned on the school website or even the tour that I had attended a few months prior to applying. The sense of pride I once had was quickly replaced by the heaviness of shame – for how I could be part of a community that wasn’t united, or rather, one that did not support those who needed them most? It is important to mention that, as of last year, the university does require new students to take a course where they share such information, including more controversial topics which includes the school and their students. Though, I still felt as if it wasn’t enough. Simply put, actions carry more meaning than words. I had decided the university would not be a good fit for me, as peers of mine still faced the unrighteous wrath of ignorance, as well as further issues I encountered that only solidified my decision to transfer.

As I decided to continue my academic career at Nazareth, I was worried that I may encounter another complicated history– a hidden history – though my experience at Nazareth has been so far from that. At orientation weekend, there had been many discussions revolving around inclusivity, as well as opportunities to learn about the incredible resources that are available to students such as the Center of Spirituality, Office for Diversity and Inclusive Excellence Education, etc. We had even attended a presentation that explained the formation of Nazareth College, its roots lying within Christianity, though Nazarath has grown to be a supportive community in which multiple religions are practiced and celebrated on campus.

The dissimilarity between both academic atmospheres has caused me to take part in major reflection. Though we are constantly faced with pessimistic and bitter outlooks, it is communities like Nazareth that help individuals gain the tools which they need to make the world a better place. As I continue to learn and grow, as a student and into my own individuality, I strive to exhibit the practices of acceptance as well as fight against injustice that occurs during my lifetime. As I gain more knowledge within this incredible community, the ignorance lessening over time, I will gain a supportive voice that is used to construct a more progressive society. 



Kaitlyn Nichols is a new student at Naz. She transferred this fall, and is starting her senior year this spring as an English major.  

Please share your thoughts about Kaitlyn's story